Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Read all about it....Read all about it!

I think that giving bad news is just as bad as getting bad news.

I watch this show, called Parenthood, and on this week's episode one of the characters had to tell her whole family that she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The episode ended with a close up of the reactions from each family member...and you guessed it....among them were: shock, horror, fear, pity, sadness, and the oldest boy in the band....tears.

Now I know it's just a tv show and all, but it reminded me of the looks I've seen on my friends and family's faces, when I've had to deliver the bad news. First, there was the time I had to tell them I was BRCA1 positive; then there was the time I shared I would be having a mastectomy; then (and most recent) the tumor that was found in my ovaries, and the possibility that it could be malignant; and lastly, the decision I made...to have a hysterectomy and oophrectomy.

As I watched the episode, I thought to myself......"At least this is something I will never have to do....look at my family and friends and say...I have cancer."  Although I know that no one is ever 100% safe from it....my chances of getting ovarian cancer have now decreased from 50%, to less than 5%....and to me, that makes all the difference in the world.

I've had to give a lot of bad news in the last 2 years....but I never wanted to look at my loved ones and say that the worst has happened. It's a heartbreak.....and who wants to be a heartbreaker anyway ?!...not me.

I did what I did....for them as much as for me. One week post-surgery, and I still feel I have made the right decision for me, and for my family...and now I can move on. I don't know what my future holds....but one thing I do know...I'm not afraid because God's got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment